So, as promised, here is a bathroom update one week later! It’s a later-in-the-day post (Thank you, Valentine’s day), but it’s here none-the-less. Progress! Progress has been made, and, thankfully, the act of comparing the photos has helped me remember that… We’ve brought out the tile work and de-cluttered, but there is still work to do! We removed the curtain and faux pelmet box I had over the window, but we haven’t replaced the window covering yet… We are kinda waiting on a set of blinds in the as-is section of IKEA, but lately I haven’t felt opposed to other options. We did put up a towel rack (also found in the as-is section, $5) over the non-functioning wall heater, which I appreciate because it covers up that eye-sore. If it doesn’t work, I don’t want to stare at it! I centered the pulls in the doors to give the vanity a more furniture like look.
Above are some more before photos, and below are plenty of detail shots. We also replaced the rather lame medicine cabinet with a wall shelf I got in the as-is section from IKEA for $10 (are you sensing a pattern here?).
I used our old butter dish as a candle holder and soap bowl.
I used our old salt and pepper shaker set (it doesn’t sit well with our new kitchen decor) into our bathroom, and discovered it could be a really cute and clever eyeglasses holder (Tyler is almost blind, people!).
I switched out the magazine pail for a basket, to help streamline the look, and add another natural material to the room. Can you see how gross the tile is? Its on the list below of things that need to get done in here! It will require lots of chemicals and scrubbing and time, but I think I can get get it looking pretty good. I’ve just been putting it off because of the work required.
We added a pull out mirror, and it’s probably my favorite addition to the bathroom! I use it all the time. We also added hooks for our robes, and got them off the back of the door. I hung some old coasters above the robes (like in the kitchen). I love the way this rug in the hallway ties into the bathroom. I know, teapots in a bathroom? The colors work well in this room, and they don’t work in any other room in the house, so I decided to see how I like them in here. I enjoy how unexpected it is. I know I said last week that I don’t think I need to replace this etagere, but now I think I do. I’m thinking the ever-versatile EKBY shelf.
- Sand, scrub, bleach tile floor
- Window covering; anyone have any ideas besides blinds?
- Frame around mirror
- Replace the fake orchid with something real
- Put a paper baking on the wall shelves
- Frame out the artwork in the same frames (preferably wood, to tie into the wall shelf)
- Paint details around the cabinet doors and drawers
- More artwork!
- Switch out etagere for 2 white ekby shelfs
- Get a nice piece of red coral for display
- In my dreams: Replace light fixtures. I’m not sure if I can find a vanity light with a pull/toggle switch, which is the biggest deterrent to replacing these… but they are pretty gross and covered in rust. Bleh. Also, I’m not sure I can find anything that would work in this room that I’d like to actually take with us to a place that we own, or anything cheap enough that I wouldn’t mind spending the money to not have to stare at rust for the next 2 years.
- Even more in my dreams: Replace the faucet